- A minimum of three (3) prints must be entered at the monthly meeting to constitute a print competition.
- Prints must be presented to the Print Director by 6:30pm the evening of the meeting.
- Only active professional and life Austin PPA members can enter print competitions.
- Members are limited to one entry per month for the regular print competition.
- Prints may not have been entered and considered merit-worth in any other previous PPA affiliated competitions at a higher level than a local PPA chapter.
- Prints previously submitted to and considered merit-worthy SummerFest (Texas State), Southwest (Regional) & PPA (National/International) are not eligible.
- Images may submitted in any shape and size on a mount board a minimum of 80 square inches to a maximum of 480 square inches, with the largest dimension no longer than 24”.
- Print entries must be mounted on a standard mount material (double weight mat board, gator board, ¼” foam, or Sintra). Recommended mounting thickness is 1/8" to 3/8". “Float” mounting is accepted at entrant’s risk for damage. Images on metal and mounted to another standard material must have rounded corners and smooth edges. No mount that could potentially damage other entries or pose a danger to print handlers will be accepted. Masonite, glass, stretcher frames or conventional frames will not be accepted.
- No material may be added to the front or back of an entry that may damage another entry.
- Prints may be signed on the front of the image as long as the signature can be covered during competition.
- The maker’s name must be on the back of the print or it will be disqualified.
- Prints not meeting these rules will not be allowed into the competition.
- You must be in attendance to participate in the monthly competition.
While prints are not required to strictly adhere to PPA photographic competition rules and printing guidelines, prints should be judged considering the following twelve (12) attributes of a professional photograph, in order of importance:
- Print Presentation
- Color Harmony
- Center of Interest
- Subject Matter
- Technical Excellence/Print Quality
- Story telling
Active members will place votes for their selection of print for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place, of the prints present. Votes for 1st place will receive three (3) points, votes for 2nd place will receive two (2) points and votes for 3rd place will receive one (1) point. Prints will be ranked by the highest total numbers of points received.
Each ballot must contain one (1) vote for each place. Incomplete ballots will be disqualified.
- Ribbons will be presented for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places based upon the highest total number of points. In the event of a tie, the tie will be resolved by the Presenter who will choose.
- All qualified entries will receive one (1) point that will count toward Photographer of the Year.
- Winners will receive the following additional points toward Photographer of the Year; three (3) points for 1st place, two (2) points for 2nd place and one (1) point for 3rd place.
- The Presenter will choose from all entries the Presenter's Choice, which will bring the competitor one (1) point toward the Photographer of the Year award.
- Glen Eller Scholarship: Active members entering at least 70% of the print competitions throughout the year are eligible for a scholarship to The Texas School of Professional Photography. The Glen Eller Scholarship is awarded each year by a drawing at the Annual Holiday Party. You do not have to be present to win.
Scholarship must be redeemed for tuition only in the upcoming year or the scholarship will be given to the runner-up of the drawing. Scholarship may not be gifted, given away or sold to any other member or non-member.
Questions? Email email@example.com